February 13, 2014

Helpless

Not a post about diabetes or running, but just feeling so helpless.  There is nothing worse, as a parent, than seeing your child hurting. 

Our son was diagnosed with thyroid cancer on Monday.  He is a grown man, 27 years old.  Last night, he came to our house and simply said, "I just need a hug" and sobbed on my shoulder.  He was in excruciating pain, unlike anything he has ever experienced.  I cried a bit and wondered why I couldn't cry more.  I guess I was just trying to stay strong for him because later, after we were in bed, the tears started to flow and wouldn't stop.  Then I just had to punch something, so I took it out on the mattress.  I feel like, as a mother, I should protect my child, no matter how old he is, but I can't.  All I can do is support him and let him know we will be there for him any time of day or night.  I can give him that shoulder to cry on and hold his hand. 

It is going to be a long, hard road, but I know we will get through this.  I, and his girlfriend's mom, have put out requests to friends and churches to pray for him and I know there are hundreds, possibly thousands of people who will hear about him.  We need to leave this in God's hands.

So we will take this one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janice!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I know another person who recently was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had surgery to have it removed. I hope they act quickly and he gets it out and treatment started!!! Good luck to him and hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you Janice. That is terrible news. I will say a prayer for your family

    ReplyDelete