June 18, 2014

Emotional roller coaster

Last Thursday was a long day.  Josh's surgery went for 9 hours, instead of the scheduled 8.  There was a bit more cancer than he thought.  He had to go down for a few inches behind the breast bone as well as all the other stuff.  The tumour was attached to the wind pipe, and the doctor considered taking out part of the wind pipe, even booking a room in the ICU, but he was able to avoid that and remove the tumour with a fraction of a mm to work with.  The vocal chords were wrapped around the tumour, so Josh's voice is considerably quieter than we are used to.  The doctor says that will probably last for a couple months.

There are 4 small glands behind the thyroid that control your calcium.  Those had to be removed as well, but he was able to transplant 3 of them into a muscle.  It will take some time for them to work again, so in the meantime, Josh has to take huge amounts of calcium.  He was on an IV until Monday, until his calcium levels were brought up. 

He came home yesterday.  He still has drains on each side of his neck, but a nurse will go to the house to change them.  His stitches will come out on Thursday.  We didn't count, but probably at least 50-60 stitches.


Waiting outside hospital for Sharon to bring the car around.  You can see the stitches around his neck.  They go right up to behind his ear on both sides.  We were joking that he can tell people it was a shark attack! 

Sarah was here a week before the surgery, so we were able to have some fun beforehand.  Jim & I dropped her off at the airport on Monday.  I always try not to cry, and I thought it might be a little easier, since it was just Sarah and I didn't also have to say goodbye to Lily and Emma.  But, it wasn't.  I still cried.  :(  Hopefully, they will all be here at the end of July for a visit.

OMG!  My friend Dawn just called and told me that our friend Sharon (not Josh's Sharon) passed away last night.  I think I have put up walls to protect me from all that has been happening, because I just feel very numb.  It is very surreal.  She was the same age as me.  Exactly.  We shared the same birthday.

More to deal with. 


4 comments:

  1. Hugs to you Janice! So much to deal with! Best of luck to Josh in his healing and I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janice not an easy time for you .....

    Life does indeed seem like a large roller coaster at times .... sending sincere wishes to you and the family and wish Josh a good recovery.

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete