July 8, 2014

Finger Lickin' Good

I think we all know who that slogan belongs to.

Last night, I gave it a second shot at the Paleo KFC .  I think I first saw the link on Facebook and tried the recipe back in April.  This is the picture from the website.



There were a couple glitches, like the coating kind of melting and pooling around the chicken, and sticking to the foil on the pan, but they tasted good enough for me to try again.

I read through the comments on the blog and scraped the excess wet mixture off on the side of the bowl before dredging the chicken in the dry mixture.  I also used parchment paper instead of foil to line the baking sheet.  Success!!  Here is what mine looked like.




Not bad, eh?  Hillary and William were here for dinner and I got the thumbs up from both of them!

Josh had his follow up appointment with his cancer doctor last week.  Along with the thyroid and parathyroid glands, he removed 118 lymph nodes.  31 of them had cancer.  Of those, 18 were located in the central neck area.

He finally got both drains removed and his scar is looking really good.  I imagine that, with time, it will be hardly noticeable.  

In the hospital, Josh's calcium was too low, so he was on IV for a couple days for that, and then on 20 calcium pills/day, along with 12 Rocaltrol (I think that's the name...kind of like a "Super vitamin D", to help with absorption).  On Monday, the doctor called Josh and said his calcium was "through the roof", which would explain why he was feeling REALLY crappy.  So he didn't take any calcium for 2 days and is now on a much-reduced dose.  I think it is maybe 6 pills/day and 2 of the Rocaltrol.  He will continue to go for blood work once/week until everything is balanced out.

One of Josh's vocal chords is paralyzed, which affects his voice and his breathing, as far as cardio exercise is concerned.  With time, the other vocal chord will adapt and get stronger and he should be able to get pretty close to normal again.

He goes to see another doctor next week about his radioactive iodine treatment.  This will hopefully kill any cancer that is still there and show if it has spread anywhere else.

My eating has not been good, and I am feeling it.  I am sluggish and achy.  With the death of my friend, I realize that we don't know how much time we have on this earth.  I have been very fortunate that I do not have more problems than I have.  I really need to focus on my health.  If I do that, the weight will take care of itself.  Both Jim and I felt a lot better when we cut out the grains, and I know I also need to get back to lower carbs.  It is so easy to slowly slip back into old (bad) habits. 

Josh and Sharon have set a date for their wedding.  Thanksgiving weekend, October 10, 2015.  I know you shouldn't use an event as motivation, but it is there.  I want to look and feel pretty at my son's wedding, so it is an incentive, but for the health aspect of it, I have told Josh I will participate with him in the Thyroid Cancer Run/Walk in Toronto next year in June.  This year, it was just 2 days after his surgery.  There is a 5k and 10k.  I have my sights set on the 10k. 

   
    


 

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to have set a wedding date.

    You've had a tough time recently - it's time life took a turn for the better for you all. I'm sending positive wishes your way for this.

    Look after yourself

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete