August 20, 2014

Two Triumphs for the Turtle!

My sister got a job today.  She works as a Teacher's Assistant in a kingergarten class and was classified as a 'casual' employee.  Today, she got a call that she has been hired full time, permanent.  Great news as she will get benefits.  My niece has Type 1 diabetes and the supplies are very expensive, even though they are partially covered by the provincial health care plan. 

So, my other sister decided we needed to celebrate.  My 3 sisters, 2 nieces and mom and I went for lunch to a great Mexican place called Chile and Agave.  I looked at the menu and wondered what the heck I was going to eat.  SO MANY CARBS!!!  One sister shared a plate with one niece and suggested that maybe mom and I could share something.  She wanted shrimp tacos, which is breaded shrimp and white flour tortillas, along with rice and refried beans.  I almost agreed, just because that is me...I am a people pleaser, but I stood my ground and said that I wanted to have a salad.  YAYYY ME!!!    I ordered it without the tortilla chips and it was AWESOME!  Lettuce, cucumber, tomato, guacamole, pico de gallo, grilled chicken and a sprinkling of feta cheese, garnished with a few orange slices. 



I did succumb to a need for caffeine this afternoon.  If I need the car during the day, I have to drive Jim to work. Since he is on days this week, that means leaving the house around 6:00am.  I got decaf on the way in. It is about a 35 minute drive.  When I went to pick him up, even though I had my mom with me for company, I was getting VERY sleepy at the wheel; so we stopped at McDonald's and got a coffee as we were about a half hour early.  That's ok.  I still want to cut back on the caffeine, but I'm not going to beat myself up over the odd cup now and then.  As long as I don't get back to my 3 or 4 (large) mugs/day.

I had dinner planned ahead.  I knew what I was going to make and had all the ingredients.  This recipe was in one of my favourite cookbooks, but included white rice, so the carb count per serving was 64g!!  I substituted cauliflower 'rice' for the white rice.  I reduced the liquid a little since the cauliflower wouldn't absorb it like rice would.  It had onion, celery, green pepper, tomatoes, 'rice' and scallops.  Kind of a 'Scallop Stew'.  It was delicious!  I will definitely make it again...when we decide to splurge again.  The bag of scallops was about $25 at Costco.  We had bacon-wrapped scallops for 3 people a couple weeks ago and we had dinner today and I got 3 more portions from what was left over.



All-in-all it was a good GREAT day!  I think I am feeling a little better after the osteopath appointment this morning, a nice meal with my family and my niece won her soccer game this evening!

2 comments:

  1. Good Good Good for you

    Wishing you and the family

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick with the salad! That looks much better than breaded, fried shrimp tacos!

    ReplyDelete